“Zampuzos” (Taverns) Route
Throughout history, Lepe has always been linked to fishing and agriculture. The Lepe´s wine, which is also mentioned in the tales of Canterbury, was a source of wealth in this town as were the figs.
The wealthy men were meeting in casinos and men with a lower social level were doing it in bars or "zampuzos", as the essential social place to chat and drink wine.
Currently, Lepe still keeps the traditional style of these small zampuzos. As a curiosity, each one of the owners, after the harvest season in September, steps grapes at their own facilities and produces juice in own barrels, which later will be offered to their customers, with pleasure that wine lovers can enjoy.
The Tavirona Road
The Tavirona road starts at the old train station. Its route which have been covered by the train (which has been retired), finding its end on the Tavirona´s bridge that gives the name to the route, and where you can watch an extensive view of the "Piedras River´s marshes and Flecha de Nueva Umbría " nature reserve.
This route belongs to the thoroughfare-green of the Coast. It was originally starting from Gibraleón and ending in Ayamonte, with 49 km long, going through Cartaya, Lepe, La Redondela and Pozo del Camino.
The railway reached in Lepe´s vicinity in 1931. It was built by the State, starting with goods service on August 14, 1936 and with passenger service on August 1, 1940, and it was composed of wooden wagons and trains with steam locomotives, until they were replaced by the railbuses in 1965.
Over years, local people were checking how the train increased its travel times and how its schedules were not flexible. While roads were filled with some buses which were stopping anywhere in the village, the dice was cast for the train. The definitive facilities closure, from Lepe´s Mosque to Ayamonte, occurred on September 27, 1987.
The kind of way is the old railway line with soil compacted, except in some sections, the difficulty is low. It´s a nice path to walk by foot or bicycle, or for doing sports.
This path is equipped with wooden fences, benches and signs along its entire length.